Total Pageviews

Monday, October 14, 2013

A Lesson In Pooh



“‘Well,’ said Pooh, ‘what I like best’ -- “and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called...” {I KNOW what it’s called: Tupelo Anticipation ;-)...}

http://youtu.be/wQhCNOV5Gnk  Return to Pooh Corner - Kenny Loggins


I got an email that someone couldn't read the above page. It states this:

“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. but the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. i'll always be with you.” ~Winnie the Pooh


“Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known.”

I woke feeling a little 11 o’clockish today — long weekend of family celebrating my sister-in-law getting married and traveling up and back to Philadelphia.  All this whirlwind isn’t as easy on a 50-year-old body, as it once was...but, I digress... I also woke up this morning, with a smile on my face, because today, October 14th is the day when A. A. Milne introduced the world to a sweet, funny little bear and his cast of friends who forever changed the lives of children.  I love bears — I especially love one honey colored little bear named, Winne-the-Pooh, who also had a special affinity for honey itself.  He and I are a LOT alike.
The Year was 1926 when A. A. Milne’s book, “Winnie-the-Pooh,” made its debut.  He’s been delighting young and old ever since!  Warm fuzzy.  That’s what he is.  And Piglet, Roo, Tigger, Rabbit, Kanga, Owl — even Eeyore all provide that same feeling of solace.   Mr. Milne had no idea when he created this cast of characters to entertain his son, Christopher Robin, that he’d be delighting children the world over, but that’s just what he did when he modeled Pooh after a teddy bear owned by his young son.  I’ve read these stories were not the direction Mr. Milne wanted his writing to take — he had other plans and ideas about stories he wanted to pen, but the Pooh tales are the ones that made him a part of the consciousness of child after child after child for generations.  Below is a poem that Mr. Milne wrote, it is estimated about 73 years ago:

Us Two
by A. A. Milne

Wherever I am, there's always Pooh,
There's always Pooh and Me.
Whatever I do, he wants to do,
"Where are you going today?" says Pooh:
"Well, that's very odd 'cos I was too.
Let's go together," says Pooh, says he.
"Let's go together," says Pooh.

"What's twice eleven?" I said to Pooh.
("Twice what?" said Pooh to Me.)
"I think it ought to be twenty-two."
"Just what I think myself," said Pooh.
"It wasn't an easy sum to do,
But that's what it is," said Pooh, said he.
"That's what it is," said Pooh.

"Let's look for dragons," I said to Pooh.
"Yes, let's," said Pooh to Me.
We crossed the river and found a few-
"Yes, those are dragons all right," said Pooh.
"As soon as I saw their beaks I knew.
That's what they are," said Pooh, said he.
"That's what they are," said Pooh.

"Let's frighten the dragons," I said to Pooh.
"That's right," said Pooh to Me.
"I'm not afraid," I said to Pooh,
And I held his paw and I shouted "Shoo!
Silly old dragons!"- and off they flew.

"I wasn't afraid," said Pooh, said he,
"I'm never afraid with you."

So wherever I am, there's always Pooh,
There's always Pooh and Me.
"What would I do?" I said to Pooh,
"If it wasn't for you," and Pooh said: "True,
It isn't much fun for One, but Two,
Can stick together,” says Pooh, says he. "That's how it is," says Pooh.

I remember when I was pregnant for the first time with our son, I had read voraciously book after book on EVERY topic conceivable regarding pregnancy, childbirth, early child development, and so forth.  One book I read suggested that the nursery theme selected for a child was very important.   It should, the book suggested, be bright and positive and the characters used should be soothing, comforting and calming ones.  I could think of nothing better to use as the backdrop for the place where our child would sleep, play and nap than that of The Hundred Acre Wood and be surrounded by Winnie-the-Pooh and his friends.  We had it all picked out; I just wish we had gotten to implement it.  Still, it was a good selection!
I also remember thinking 15 years ago when I was pregnant that most of the lessons that were important to teach a child outside of the Golden Rule were Poohisms.  Do you know them?  Hm...they are wonderful sayings, thoughts — ideas.  Truthfully, wonderful doesn’t accurately cover what they are.  They aren’t just good food for thought for children to remember.  They are good food for thought PERIOD!   I couldn’t let today go by and not make mention of this important day in history.  If A. A. Milne were alive today, I’d send him a thank you letter for creating these wonderful characters.  Each one magical and memorable in its own right with something to teach us all...



Love is taking a few steps backward maybe even more...to give way to the happiness of the person you love. ~Winnie the Pooh
















"Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh," he whispered. "Yes, Piglet?" "Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw, "I just wanted to be sure of you."


"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so that I never have to live without you." ~Winnie the Pooh




                                             I use to believe in forever, but forever is too good to be 
                                                           true.  ~Winnie the Pooh



                                               Let's begin by taking a smallish nap or two.
                                                               Winnie the Pooh



And together, they touched the sky...


http://youtu.be/jOBcwJbKOdY  You Are Loved ~Josh Groban
{Read the Heart that Eeyore is holding....}

Let's close with this ending thought by Pooh, and mine too: take a half hour EVERY day for JUST you.  JUST YOU!  "Why?"you may be asking.  Because it's important to have a moment just to ourselves to take a breath - catch our breath, call a friend, have a cup of tea with honey, ;-) read a few lines from a book, listen to a favorite song, whatever it is that you want to do...do it!  Because as Pooh says: "Rivers know this: there is NO hurry! We shall get there some day." ... 

2 comments:

  1. Now I know everything about POOH I never knew B4 thanks interesting
    BERNAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Bernay! I'm glad you learned "EVERYTHING"! LOL

    ReplyDelete