Total Pageviews

Monday, February 3, 2014

Ted Ellis


                                                                               Ted Ellis

For those of you who have previously read my blog, you know that my husband and I went to New Orleans last summer to celebrate my 50th birthday.  While there, I saw a painting in one of the shops in the French Quarter that was painted by a native son named Ted Ellis.  It was a painting about Katrina. Upon returning home, and doing some research on him, I discovered that an abstract painting of President Obama that I'd seen in several places was also a work of his. 
I don't know a whole lot about Mr. Ellis other than he was born in New Orleans in 1963. {a VERY good year! ;-) } He's a former environmental chemist, which got a "WOW" from me when I learned  that fact about him - impressive. He is a mostly self-taught artist, and he currently lives in Texas with his wife and two children.
It's his art that got me though.  It got me good. 
Free At Last and My Old Quilt are my favorite works of his, but I appreciate each and every one of his paintings that I see. This post is simply a showcase of his art to share his gift with you. 
Today, we celebrate Ted Ellis.

                                                            Obama, the 44th President

This is the painting I saw in New Orleans in the French Quarter. It's called "Surviving Katrina".



One of my favorites of Mr. Ellis'. This one is called, "Free At Last."


"Sunday Worship" is Ted Ellis' most popular & reportedly his favorite work.


This painting is called "Life Begins Anew" and was the symbol of  new beginnings after Hurricane Katrina.

                                                                     Bourbon Street

                                                        Education Is The Key To Success

                                                                      Into The Word
                                                                     Southern Pleasure
                                                                   Teach Them to Pray

                                                                       Praying Hands
                                                                Baptized In This House

                                                                       My Old Quilt

If you'd like to inquire about Ted Ellis paintings, I've included a couple of websites: 
http://tellisart.com/  http://www.itsablackthang.com/Ted-Ellis-art-work.htm

"I'm on a personal journey to pictorially document our life history through painting and share that experience with the world .... That is my passion." ~Ted T. Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment