Total Pageviews

Friday, August 2, 2013

Reaching for the Dawn

I stumbled upon this poem back when I was in college in the 80's and kept it taped to the mirror in my room.  I always called it my"reaching for the dawn" poem, because it gave me hope that whatever the painful "growing into womanhood" circumstance I was in, there was always tomorrow - a brighter one ahead waiting for me.  I just needed to keep moving forward and taking the lessons with me - learning from them, growing because of them-despite them and thankful for them because they were shaping me into who I was destined to become.  I knew that I was in the "processing" years. You have to go through that stuff to form and mold into the person you will ultimately be.  It's a necessary part of life's journey.  I read it a LOT!  It was my growing into poem~my mantra of sorts.  I think it's an important message for EVERY woman to have; to remember and to hold onto to. I share it with you today.  Blessings~

After A While
by Veronica Shoftsall


After a while you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul.

And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning and company doesn't mean security.

And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts and presents aren't promises.

And you begin to accept your defeats with your head up high and your eyes ahead, with the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child.

And you learn to build all your roads on today because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain ~ for plans and futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.

After a while you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much.

So, you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.

And you learn that you really can endure!
That you really are strong! 
And, you REALLY do have worth...
And you learn, and you learn...
With every hello and every goodbye you learn...  [Amen...]

No comments:

Post a Comment