Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 31, 2013

England's Rose

                                                   This is my favorite picture of Princess Diana.
                                                   Diana, Princess of Wales Rose
                                                                   Beautiful Diana

“Everyone of us needs to show how much we care for each other and, in the process, care for ourselves.”   ~Princess Diana

“I live for my sons. I would be lost without them.” ~Princess Diana

  BBC Announce the death of Princess Diana
  NBC News Bulletin Announcing Princess Diana’s Death
  Goodbye England’s Rose~Elton John
 Diana - Princess of Wales
 Princess Diana ~ Goodbye Mummy
  Princess Diana Interview w/Martin Bashir Part 1
   Princess Diana Interview Part II
  Princess Diana Interview Part III
  Princess Diana Interview Part IV
  Princess Diana Interview Part V
  Princess Diana Interview Part VI
  Princess Diana Interview Part VII

Sixteen years ago, the world lost “The People’s Princess” as she’s come to be known.  I remember that weekend as if it were yesterday — surreal.  That’s how it felt.  It still feels that way.  I wanted to write about it today, and have spent a great deal of time in quiet reflection thinking back on her and my thoughts of her, but the words just haven’t wanted to come.  That’s alright.  Sometimes, things are too much to put into words, and it’s best not to try and force it lest you diminish it in some way.   Suffice it to say, the death of Princess Diana is one of those visceral moments in the consciousness of the world — like when President Kennedy or Martin Luther King Jr., Bobby Kennedy, Elvis, and John Lennon all died: you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you got the terrible news that a rare and bright light had been tragically and too-soon extinguished.  The same holds true for the Princess of Wales.
I often wonder what else she would have accomplished with her life had she lived?  She seemed in a good place in 1997.  Happy.  At least, she looked happy, and that was a nice thing to see after so much sadness and turmoil of the previous years she’d spoken of.  It was such a senseless ending to a life that still held so much promise.
I admired her, and like the rest of the world, I miss her.  There was a kindness about her.  You saw it so clearly in interviews.  I also thought she showed courage in the way that she carried herself.  She was a grace note.  Soft.  Tender.  Beautiful.  That’s how I remember her, and I remember one of her favorite quotes that I have adopted as one of my own.  I can still hear her in my mind, reciting it in an interview I watched her give once, a long time ago.  They are the words of Adam Lindsay Gordon and they gave great insight into the heart of Diana Spencer Windsor, Princess of Wales, England’s Rose — The People's Princess-The Queen of Hearts: “Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own...”

Princess Diana, Prince William & Prince Harry

                                             Diana's Final Resting Place on Althorp Estate

No comments:

Post a Comment