Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 1, 2013

September's Song



  September~Earth, Wind & Fire

"The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze."
-   John Updike, September



It’s the first of September.  I was thinking just the other day: “WOW! WHERE did this summer go?”  I swear it zipped by this year.  Some year’s are like that, I guess, but it re-affirmed that we shouldn’t take one minute for granted.  It reminded me, once again, that we should make the most of the time we have — be present in the moments—the seasons of our lives.  Did I nap through my summer?  I don’t think I did, but it went SO fast this year.  Of course, I am getting older.  I hit the BIG one {50} this summer, and several of my jokester friends have been teasing me that the mind is the first thing to go.   They know THAT comment will rile me up~LOL, [NO! NOT THE MIND!!!!!!] but I digress....
I love all the season’s, but I cannot tell a lie!  Autumn is my favorite.  Each one brings with it a special cause for celebration yet autumn is the time for harvest, to name but one of several things for which to be grateful.  The bounty of one’s hard work is realized.   It was always such an important time of year for my grandparents, who were farmers.  Perhaps, that impressed upon me at an early age.  They always came to visit us at Thanksgiving.  Maybe that’s another reason I always loved fall so much.
It’s also the time of year when the holidays begin — food and fellowship with family and friends.  Those who know me know that I’m all about those two things – both sets of things! ;-) It is a season of endless celebration – feel good, and I love that too.  It’s not that one cannot do those things on their own whenever they want, but something happens during this time of year when the entire country collectively begins to get into the holiday mind-set.  The spirit seems uplifted.  At least, I notice it the further into the season we get.
A friend told me last week that she felt pumpkins in the air, and I smiled and added, “apple cider too.”
Then, my husband and I were out doing an errand the other day and saw our first leaf fall from a tree that had begun its transitional process of turning those vibrant autumn colors.  One of a few first signs that the changes are slowly taking place as one season hands the crown over to another.  
And, the days are getting shorter.  This is, perhaps, my least favorite thing about autumn, but there are trade-offs.  The sweltering, oppressive heats of summer have died down now, so who can complain?
The school year is about to begin here in Virginia — new opportunities.  There always seems to be heightened energy for me when September rolls around.  The lazy days of summer are behind us and football season is about to begin, sweater weather is approaching and apple picking time is at hand.    There are hay rides to enjoy, pumpkin carvings to get ready for, and fall craft festivals to prepare to peruse.   The excitement is building in our house!
Skyline Drive will soon be looking like a house a fire as the leaves begin to change to red, yellow and orange and take on a blazing effect of glory along the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the Shenandoah National Park.  It’s 105 miles of splendor that has 75 overlooks of that valley.   It’s a camper’s or day-tripper’s paradise.
I think we may just have to pack a picnic lunch, grab the puppies and a couple of blankets and take a trip over when the leaves are in full blaze mode.  If you’ve never seen it before, it is a sight to behold at any time of year but especially during the autumn season.  I’ll take a picture and post it so you can see what I mean.
It’s September 1st and the summer is winding down as autumn prepares to take center stage.   Pick some apples! Carve some pumpkins!  Savor the cool breezes when they come.  Have coffee on the porch with a friend.  Wrap up in a blanket, in the evening with your significant other.  It’s all good. I can’t wait for the fall festivities to commence!  Happy September!

No comments:

Post a Comment